How hard can it be to buy a new camera bag? Well, as it turns out, it can be positively excruciating. For one thing, I'm attached to my old bag--and it's attached to me. It's been around the world and experienced a lot of tears, joy, falls, peaks, you get my drift. I know all its little quirks. It knows mine. It knows that I prefer the cross shoulder strap to the one-shoulder position. It knows my back is tender and quite willingly wraps its hips straps across my lower back, perfectly taking the pressure off my spine. It's just the right size, even when fully loaded. It got lost once in Beijing, and found its way back totally unscathed.
My old bag dates to pre-digital days, so it accommodates film canisters rather than those pesky little CF cards. Additionally, it's kind of worn out on the inside. My various pieces of equipment often bump up against each other and now that I've got new gear, I'm going to try to keep it in better shape. I don't think it's air-tight or wind-tight anymore. The Gobi desert is purported to be a windy, sandy place and I can't risk my newfound love (Canon!). So...goodbye...fare thee well. I'll keep you in the closet, though, so we can go on future outings in the mountains of Colorado.
Don't put the old bag in the closet! Try to use part of it with the new bag, even as a patch on the outside. Seeing the old bag will help you remember lessons that were learned before.
ReplyDelete