Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I succumbed to both A and B; Mandala ceremony at Solstice Gallery

OK, so my Dr. really encouraged me to get the Hep A and Hep B shots, but didn't have any in stock (not very helpful, really).  So I mosied on down to the health department where they offer them one afternoon per week at a greatly reduced rate compared to the doctor's office. I walked in and the lady says "do you have an appointment?".  I gave her one of those looks and said, defensively, "when I called, the lady told me to just go down between 1 and 6". She said they were all booked up but was nice enough to talk to one of the nurses and they were able to get me in.  I ended up getting both A and B combined, but I have to return for two more vaccines within the next 7 months.  After reading the printouts, I'm glad I went ahead with the precautions.  The disease can be horrible and after the nurse said "you're traveling to a third world country", I guess it did hit me.

Yesterday I finished ALL of my printing and packed my neat and tidy portfolio box.  I put my tripod into my oversized suitcase, stuffed my boots in there, and wondered where my clothes would go.  Today I need to finish my powerpoint presentation which we will need to present during our "roundtable" discussions.  I wonder about the artist statement, since I can't translate that into Mandarin...I suppose I can just forward through it.  Originally, I did send my statement and Ms. Yan is supposed to have it translated before I get there.  Perhaps they will have handouts for people so when they actually sit down to view the PP, they will have their copies in hand already.  I hope.

I LOVE my new Canon EOS 5D Mark II!!! I had a shoot over the weekend and had a chance to work it a bit.  I noticed on my computer that the subjects' skin tones were remarkably life-like.  To the photo nerds out there...we know that skin has many, many tones to it.  With my previous camera (12 MP), it tended to render skin tones more monochromatic, not rendering small gradations of tone (as in real life).  With 21 MP, people actually look like real people.  Actually, the entire overall scene had more tones to it.  It's easier to work with in Photoshop as well.  More responsive to small changes.  Yum.  Now I can't wait to see how it responds to natural scenes...in China.

Tonight is the opening of my "show" at the Solstice Gallery on Francis St. in Longmont.  They are featuring local Mandala artist Carlos Smith, he will perform a "mandala walk" at around 7PM.  The occasion?  THE SOLSTICE!  Which thankfully means that the days will now become increasingly longer.

Gotta run, am meeting a good friend for a walk along the Coal Creek Trail...then back to packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment